Tomorrow marks the anniversary of my LAST relaxer...I'm NEVER going back!!!
Retightening #3
I had my reti this past weekend and all went well. No slippage, (except for the row at the nape of my neck) and many of my locks are swelling, particularly near the ends. So they are well into the locking process. A different consultant retightened my locks this time because my consultant was preparing for Dr. Cornwell's visit. I was asked how I got my curls. Well, I didn't have time to wash my hair the night before, so I did it that morning. I also didn't have time to let my curls set on rollers, so I used the Caruso Steam Rollers. Well... I got a lecture on how moisture is not the friend of new locks and I'm going to cause slippage and slow down my lock process. Talk about being scared straight. So I put the steam curlers away and bought another bottle of Sisterlocks Starter Shampoo. (I didn't even bring up the Suave Shampoo). The Carouso curls don't last nearly as long as a rod or sponge roller set.
I've also learned that different consultants have very different opinions on how to care for baby locs. WhenI first got my SLs, my regular consultant told me that I can wash weekly and we would see if I need to scale back during my follow up. The other consultant tells her clients not to wash their new locks until the follow-up appointment. I would have scratched my scalp out! Luckily, I have tightly coiled hair and no slippage, so weekly shampooing works for me.
There was also a conversation about my misting my hair with the distilled water/drops of oil mixture. it's a no-no. She also told me to dab my scalp with oil when it's dry. There was a third consultant there and said do not oil your hair, your scalp will eventually produce sufficient oil. I've learned to listen to all advice, and do what works best for me. After all, I must be doing something right. So I've decided to mist maybe once a week, and nix the oil advice, because even at one week, my hair produces enough oil to show up under my fingernail when I scratch (sorry, I know it sounds gross).
Dr. Cornwell's Visit
I went to the booksigning event this weekend in Atlanta, sponsored by consultants Wanda Washington and Roni Rasheeda Turner. It was a great event. Dr. Cornwell is an awesome lady. I wasn't able to stay for the entire book signing event, so I wasn't able to meet her personally, but I did get to hear her speak. I purchased her book, and hope to get it signed the next time.
One thing I really enjoyed was seeing all the beautifully Sisterlocked sisters and a few brothers too! I received so many compliments, and gave just as many. It was funny how the ladies with short locks admired the long lock wearers and the ladies with long locks admired the shorter locks LOL. If you have never been to an event with other Sisterlock wearers, I strongly encourage you to go.
One more thing...
That belief that locks are not acceptible in Corporate America is a MYTH! Because I GOT A PROMOTION!!! I was able to move up to a management position in one of America's most recognized companies. It feels really good when hard work pays off!
Women Who Run Their Lives
1 year ago

Congrats on your Promotion! You go girl!
ReplyDeleteAfter hearing so many do's and don'ts it kind of gets confusing. Like you siad do what works for you!
Take Care